photo FLORALHEADER2_zpsd0535b2f.png

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

journaling slumps




Even the most dedicated of all journalers will nod their heads in agreement when you mention that that, every once in a while, journaling just loses it's wonder. It's true. It happens, and it isn't necessarily bad.


How to keep journaling fun 

Don't treat it as a chore or an obligation.
When you feel like you've committed a heinous crime when you skip a day, or guilty when you only write a paragraph or two, your journal will be a source of frustration to you. It's okay if you skip a few days (or even weeks, for that matter). And it's okay if you don't feel like writing much. Journaling should be done because you want to, not because you feel like you must.

If you're having a hard time digging journaling, associate journaling with something pleasant.
I have heard several journalers recommend journaling rituals--such as brewing a cup of tea or some such comforting drink, putting on some inspiring music, or lighting a candle. I have never done this, mainly because I have to write for the sake of it, and because I write when I feel that "urge" inside--which might be as soon as I wake up one day, and the next it might be in the car on the way to the store.

Go back and read some old entries.
It doesn't matter if it's in your present journal--just a few weeks back--or a journal from years ago, old entries will be sure to spark some sort of inspiration in your veins.  I often feel inspired by what I was going through at the time (what was important to me several years ago, or what was constantly on my mind) or the style I wrote in from year to year. Sometimes I like my old style of writing (because my present voice has evolved over several years). But anyway, reading old entries is a great way to get ideas of what to write about. If all else fails, copy an old entry into you present journal and edit it. Can you make it sound any better?

Take a break.
Yep, just take a break from it. The world won't end even if you skip a month of writing. Come back to the page when you're inspired again. You invariably will be.

Does journaling ever get old for you?

1 comment :

  1. I've sometimes gone for months without journaling, and then fill up ten pages when I come back to it. Sometimes I can clear my head better that way.

    I've also tagged you with the Sunshine Award. :) You can find it here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

 

All words and photographs belong to Journaling Journeys, unless otherwise stated.
Blog design by Marcia.