photo FLORALHEADER2_zpsd0535b2f.png

Monday, September 8, 2014

lined or unlined?

 
Lined versus unlined? Journals come in both formats. Which is best?


 Unlined journals can get messy, because they don't have any lines to guide you (see above). 


 
However, as we can see here, lines are not a guarantee against messy handwriting.



However, unlined can present great artistic freedom because of the lack of lines.


A lined specimen, one of my favorite journals.


 
 Unlined journals can provide more opportunities for doodles.


Here you can see lined and unlined side by side (using an unlined page and then pasting it into a lined journal is a great way to do word art and avoid line obstruction.)


Lined or Unlined?

Looking at my own personal journal history, I gravitate towards lines versus unlined. I'm not against unlined journals, and sometimes they are a refreshing break from lined ones every now and again. There have been two unlined journals I used in particular that I greatly enjoyed.

Lined: Personally, I tend to actually write more in lined journals. My unlined journals are filled with less writing and more word art, collages, and other artsy things. Lined journals beg for words, not so much of the same sort of art that goes into an unlined journal. Lined journals also make your handwriting more controlled and obviously straight.

Unlined: Unlined journals can be fun, because there aren't any restrictions. You can write and draw and paste things in and the lines aren't there to constrain you. However, messy handwriting can go along with this, as well as slanting handwriting. And sometimes less actual words and writing.

So ultimately, the choice is the journaler's. But I am curious, what is your personal preference? Lined or unlined? What are the pros and cons for you? Please leave a comment and let me know.

10 comments :

  1. I don't think I've ever used an unlined journal, so I'm used to lined pages. I tend have somewhat messy handwriting anyway, so the lines give it some sense of order and legibility, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lines keep you on the right track. But an unlined journal might be fun to try, since you've never used one!

      Delete
  2. Currently I use a lined notebook, and for my journaling I will stay with that. When doodling on the pages the lines don't worry me.
    I use a notebook system similar to the midori, and I have added a small blank notebook at the back where I can practice drawing etc. But I haven't used that much so far.
    If you worry about messy handwriting on a blank page, there are lined templates that you can print (or make your own with Excel or Word or somtething similar), cut to the size of your notebook and then slip it under the page on which you are writing. The lines show through and you have a guidance without actually having lined paper. I used that many years ago in a blank journal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are really good tips, Sabrina. The lined paper beneath unlined paper is a very good idea for someone who wants to keep their words straight.

      Delete
  3. I feel strangled by lines so I always use an unlined journal.

    My daughter gave me a lined journal for my birthday this year, and I'm using that one for lists -- gratitude -- small joys. I do feel very efficient when I fill those lines. But for everyday, I need the freedom of a blank page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting to see how everyone is different when it comes to lines and unlined. A lined journal is a good idea when one is keeping lists, like you mentioned. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I use lined format more but would like the option to have unlined pages, also. Never thought of pasting in a blank. Do you know what brand of journal you have featured in this story - one with the flower taped in? I am trying to figure out what type and brand of journal(s) to buy. I would like to be able to have a work journal and a personal one. Work for meeting notes and projects Personal for my religious journey, diary, dreams, pics and clippings, I am not an artist or really even a sketcher but something about having unlined pages is appealing can you suggest anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The journal with the flower in it was from the brand Cavallini; I reviewed the particular journal here: http://keepingjournals.blogspot.com/2014/02/notebook-review-cavallini-journals.html

      If you are looking for journals unlined pages, I would definitely suggest checking out Barnes and Noble first. They have an enormous journal selection, many of which feature unlined pages. You can find them online, as well as in the store. Etsy also has unlined journals; granted they are somewhat more expensive because they are handmade. I have also found sketch books of good quality and for extremely decent prices that would certainly work as journals at Michael's and Hobby Lobby, but they have white pages (not sure if that would bother you; I can only write on cream pages).

      Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Have you ever seen a journal that has BOTH lined and unlined pages?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I actually have! There was a brand at a Hallmark store one time that had both, and I have seen some at Barnes and Noble and Books A Million as well. Unfortunately I can't remember the brands, but they're out there!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

 

All words and photographs belong to Journaling Journeys, unless otherwise stated.
Blog design by Marcia.